"Awww, go blow your jets!"
Description: Frequent remark directed to the members of the Solar Guard by Cadet Roger Manning (Jan Merlin) on the science fiction adventure TOM CORBETT, SPACE CADET/CBS/ABC/NBC/1950-55.
"Space Academy, USA in the World Beyond Tomorrow. Here the Space Cadets train for duty on distant planets. In roaring rockets they blast through the millions of miles from Earth to far-flung stars and brave the dangers of cosmic frontiers, protecting the liberties of the planets, safe guarding the cause of universal peace in the age of the conquest space."
Set in the year A.D. 2350-55, Cadet Roger Manning, is the wise-cracking Radar Man onboard the rocket cruiser Polaris. Cadet Manning is known for using such unique phrases as: "You Venusian Swamp Rat!" and "Blow It Out Your Jets!"
Other members of the Space Academy included:
- Tom Corbett (Frankie Thomas), a curly-headed teenager who hopes to become a Rocketeer in the Solar Guards.
- Carter Blake as Commander Arkwrigh
- Michael Harvey as Captain Larry Strong, the leader (1950)
- Edward Bryce as Captain Steve Strong, the leader (1951-52)
- Al Markim as Cadet Astro, the Venusian Navigator (a prototype to the Vulcan Mr. Spock of STAR TREK)
- Margaret Garland as Dr. Joan Dale, Tom Corbett's girlfriend.
- John Fiedler as Cadet Alfie Higgins
- Frank Sutton as Cadet Rattison
- Jack Grimes as Cadet T. J. Thistle
The Space Cadet insignia was an upright cigar shaped rocket with two landing fins resting on a bolt of lighting.
The official Solar Guard pledge read:
"I solemnly swear to safeguard the freedom of space, protect the liberties of the planets, and defend the cause of peace throughout the universe."
Note: Other catchphrases heard on the series : “Now you’ve done it, Junior!”; “So what happens now, space heroes?”; “By the rings of Saturn!”; “By the craters of Luna!”; “Easy there, don’t blast your Jets!” and on a more positive note “Spaceman’s Luck!”